The military plays a key role in the security sector. It protects the sovereignty of the state externally and in many states it also plays a crucial role in internal security. In addition, it steps in when there are national humanitarian emergencies. As the military is the strongest individual player in the security sector, any dysfunction in this area presents a particularly serious problem for the security sector and the state as a whole.
In this case, the result is often uncertainty, human rights violations or, in extreme cases, coups organised by or with assistance from the military. It is important here to establish modern management of the armed forces with the following components:
Clear separation of policing and military responsibilities, civil oversight and supreme civil command as well as adaptation of the budget and size of the armed forces to reflect their requirements.
What we offer in the area of the armed forces in transition:
- Assessment and analysis of the status quo of the armed forces in the context of the institutional and legal environment. Identification of problem areas and the need for reform. Identification of entry points for reforms.
- Drafting, development and design of suggested reforms and multisectoral strategies for improving the management of the armed forces and the institutional framework conditions.
- Development of programmes and materials for capacity building workshops, seminars and training programmes. Operation of the entire range of smaller programmes on individual issues such as human rights right through to complex training programmes. Implementation by an experienced trainer.
- Induction and supervision of institutional reform processes in the areas which are relevant to the military system (ministries, (sections of) the armed forces, supervisory bodies, bordering areas of the security sector, civil society).
- Induction and supervision of disarmament, demobilisation and reintegration (GDR) programmes in post-conflict states.
Research and evaluation
- Conducting qualitative and quantitative scientific studies on the individual aspects of the area of military reform and training of the armed forces.
- Evaluation of external projects in the area of military reform and training of the armed forces.
We are more than happy to work with our clients to come up with specific consulting solutions.
If you require any further information on the product area of police reform, please contact us.