The justice system plays an essential role in guaranteeing social cohesion, ensures that the legal system is implemented and performs an important monitoring role in the context of the security sector.
Shortcomings in the justice system therefore lead to different structural problems such as legal uncertainty, greater difficulties in resolving conflicts within society and an accumulation of power in the executive authority. This challenges human security and impedes economic development particularly in emerging and developing countries.
What we offer in the area of justice sector reform:
- Assessment and analysis of the status quo of the justice system and penal system in the context of the institutional environment and in relation to the other powers. Identification of problem areas and the need for reform. Identification of entry points for reforms.
- Drafting, development and design of suggested reforms and multisectoral strategies for improving the justice system and the penal system, both in the operational area and in the area of principles for legislation.
- Development of programmes and materials for capacity building workshops, seminars and training programmes. In particular on issues such as the civil control of the security forces, protection of human rights, gender, corruption or organised crime. Implementation by an experienced trainer.
- Induction and supervision of institutional reform processes in the areas which are relevant to the justice system (ministries, public prosecutor’s department, courts, civil society etc.). Particular focus on improving the overall role of the justice system, rule of law, access to justice (in particular for marginalised groups), and the supervisory function.
- Induction and supervision of transitional justice programmes in post-conflict states.
Research and evaluation
- Conducting qualitative and quantitative scientific studies on the individual aspects of the area of justice sector reform and the penal system.
- Evaluation of external projects in the area of justice sector reform and the penal system.
We are more than happy to work with our clients to come up with specific consulting solutions.
If you require any further information on the product area of police reform, please contact us.